Sunday 21 April 2013

My Week: Sunshine, Diets, My Thyroid and A Dodgy Finger!

I don’t tend to post more than once in a day and I also don’t to share to much about me on here, however  I am in a sharing mood today so here goes!

I’ve been diagnosed with an under active thyroid for a few months now and I have to say when the doctors told me it was a massive relief. You see for a long time id been a bit of a mess, I was tired all of the time and I put on at least 2 stone. Emotionally I was a wreck, the only way to describe it was I felt like I was suffering with depression, I had no reason to be depressed but I felt so low. I’m normally quite positive and upbeat.  I also couldn’t process my feelings and would get a bit neurotic about things. I found it really hard and I don’t know how my family and friends put up with me! I’m very lucky that I am well supported and was encouraged to keep going back to the doctors in order to get a diagnosis.
Those who have a Thyroid issue will know that a diagnosis is only the start of the battle. I am on medication but it can only be increased slowly, every 8 weeks after a blood test. The tablets I am on are amazing, it’s really helped me to get back to normality but I’m still a long way from being on the correct dosage. It’s frustrating and hard going but I know in the long run I will get back to normality.
So during one of my checkups recently my doctor, who I have to say is a pretty ace bloke, and I discussed my weight. His current advice is not to worry about it at the moment as till I get the medication right I am unlikely to lose anything no matter what I do.
Hmmmm, well I don’t know what you guys are like, but when I get told not to do something it kind of makes me adamant to do. So I decided to join Weight Watchers. I am Fat, I would disclose my weight but I’m a little bit mortified by it so let’s just say I am fat! I’m not completely blaming the fact I have an under active thyroid as the reason for this but it is a massive factor. So far I’ve stuck to the diet religiously and am hugely surprised by the amount you have to eat! You get given a certain amount of points you can have each day and I struggle to get near that most days!
I’m not daft I know that I may not lose anything  but I want my confidence back and to feel good about myself again so my theory is if I can increase my fitness and get my diet right now, when my thyroid is levelled the weight should fall off.
So I’ve been doing it for nearly a week, I get weighed on Tuesday so I’ll let you know how I get on! I’ve also massively increased my exercise, for the last couple of weeks I’ve been doing something every day. I go rowing once a week, I’ve been venturing to the gym most days, a few exercise classes thrown in and Jillian Michaels’ 30 day shred DVD.  I have to say I am feeling so much better and so much more motivated than I have done in a long time!
I would love to hear if you’ve had a Thyroid problem, have any diet tips or tried Weight Watchers?
Also this week I managed to fracture my finger! I was playing basketball and went to catch the ball but it instead hit the tip of my fingers and shunted it leaving me with a nice fracture across my knuckle! I was adamant it was just bruised and had to be forced to go to A&E for a scan. I’m right handed and it’s my left hand, the ring finger, that’s broken so I didn’t think it would be much of a problem. You don’t realise how much you use your left hand to do things!! You don’t even think about it you just use your hand automatically so I have to be honest and say I’ve been useless at resting it and am definitely paying for it now. It’s very sore this evening! I have to head back to the fracture clinic next week and they will decide if I need an operation to put a wire in my finger, I am massively hoping I don’t! I just hope it doesn’t stay wonky as it’s my ring finger!
 
On a plus note, what a beautiful weekend we have had! Summer has finally arrived! I am a huge believer that the sun feeds you soul, everyone is so much happier and friendly when its blue skies and sunshine. I made the most of it and took the dogs for a long walk. Here are some pics.....





 

Apologies for the massive post! What do you think of me putting post like this up everyone once and a while?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments, would love to hear your views....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...