Wednesday 1 May 2013

BOOK CLUB: The Longest Holiday by Paige Toon

I have just heard that the month of May is Chick Lit Month, so I feel it’s pretty appropriate to post a review on a fab chick lit book it only just this minute finished reading! What are you guys reading this month? Who’s your favourite chick lit author?



The Blurb
'Don't wait for the storm to pass; learn to dance in the rain…' Laura has been married to the man of her dreams for seven months. But a week before the wedding, Matthew made a terrible mistake. Escaping the humiliation that is now her marriage, Laura is whisked off to Florida's Key West by her best friend Marty. A carefree holiday full of cocktails and fun, surrounded by gorgeous, tanned men, is exactly what the doctor ordered. Distraction comes in the form of sexy Cuban scuba diver Leo. Laura's instant attraction to him knocks her flying, and she falls hard. As the end of the holiday approaches, Laura doesn't want to go home. Is it time to face the music? Or is there more to Key West than a holiday romance?
The Review
Before I begin this review, I must confess that Paige Toon is one of my favourite authors. I have read every one of her books and I would find it really hard to pick a fault with any of them. She has an incredible talent, in terms of making a location come to life and really getting the reader immersed in the emotions of the characters, this author just doesn’t fail to impress. Paige recently announced that she is going to be releasing a teen fiction series, and I know I won’t be able to stop myself, I can pretty much guarantee I will be taking a look at them too. So, as you can see I’m a huge fan and have been counting down the hours for this book to be released, and I wasn’t disappointed.
The main character is Laura, who has escaped on holiday with her girlfriends after her perfect Husband makes an awful mistake that changes everything. After this mistake comes to light Laura needs to get away to clear her head and have time to think about whether or not she can forgive her husband and save her marriage. Laura jets away to Florida’s Key West with her friends Marty and Bridget.
 
However it’s not long before her thoughts are distracted by the gorgeously hot Leo. But are her feelings for Leo just confusing matters more, I mean the holiday has to come to an end at some point surely?
 
Laura is really easy to relate to, and probably one of my favourite characters from Paige’s books. I felt her emotions were realistic and it was easy to get swept up in the story.
All Paige’s books have a great male character that you really fall for and Leo isn’t any exception! When we first meet him he feels a little mysterious but as we get to know more about his character and his background you can’t help but completely lust after him along with Laura.
 
The author also puts a really good  twist towards the end which I never saw coming and really keeps you guessing as to where it’s all going to end. I found with the majority of this story there was a lot of fun twists and turns and it had a great pace to it.
 
The whole of the book was fantastically written the descriptive writing made you feel as though you were there on holiday with the characters. The setting of Key West was beautiful! Paige really made the place come to life. You can tell the author did her research as the descriptions of Key West are truly magical, I’m sure I’m not the only one who has a desperate desire to go visit the place now after reading this book!
 
I highly recommend The Longest Holiday as it’s got a bit everything in it, romance, great characters and a beautiful location! As with any Paige Toon book I felt such a range of emotions throughout the story, one minute I was laughing and the next I was tearing up! I read this book within a day, and I feel so disappointed it had to end; I’m not sure what to do with myself now! I think you’ll probably find me searching holidays to Key West and getting upset as I can’t afford it with my limited budget at the moment. So I shall have to settle with getting lost in some other book, but I’m not sure any would compete with this one right now! Huge Dilemma and any suggestions welcome!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments, would love to hear your views....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...