Sunday 16 June 2013

Book Club: Q&A with Sarah Louise Smith

Sarah Louise Smith is a writer I think everyone needs to keep an eye on! Her debut novel ‘Amy & Zach’ has been one of my favourite reads so far this year. Check out my review of it here!
The lovely Sarah kindly popped by the blog to do a Q&A with me and here is what happened....
 How long have you been writing for and what was your first ever story? 
I've been writing stories ever since I can remember. I can recall writing kids stories with my friends. My first complete story (that I remember) was one I did at middle school as an English project. I think it was about a girl who's best friend died (a bit sad for an 11 year old!)
What’s the best thing about being a writer?
Receiving positive comments from readers. I feel very proud and humbled by the lovely tweets, emails and Facebook messages. It makes all the hard work feel worthwhile when you know someone enjoyed your work.
What inspires you and where do you get your writing ideas from?
I get inspiration from lots of different places: films; books; songs; day dreams that get carried away. I am always writing notes but only about 10% of them are any good!
Of both your books, which one is your favourite?
Izzy's Cold Feet, for sure. I enjoyed writing Amy & Zach, but I think my writing has improved and the plot is stronger... let's hope readers agree, eek! :-)
 Which one of your characters, from the books you’ve written, are you most like?
Hmm...I suppose there are elements of my personality in both Amy and Izzy, as I've written them from the first person. A few of my friends have said they can see me in Amy (we both love boybands and animals and I'm a wannabe American!).
 Your new book which is out in July, Izzy’s cold Feet, can you tell us a bit about it?
Here's the blurb: Izzy is engaged to Greg, who is everything a girl could want. The trouble is – all she can think about is the men she loved before she met him: sexy Ewan, the first love of her life; dependable Jason, who loved her more than she deserved; and irresistible Dexter, who broke her heart… Then there’s the fact that her sister has been missing since Izzy was twelve. After such a traumatic childhood all Izzy wants is a normal, happy, settled life, but love is never simple. In the week leading up to her wedding day, Izzy is forced to ask herself who she loves the most. And, given the choice, who would she want to spend her life with?
Amy and Zach is set in Boston, with a trip to Vegas. Where's your favourite city in the world and why?
I'm not a huge fan of cities, I prefer mountains and lakes... having said that, can I pick two?! Firstly; Bath, UK. It's got so much character and charm and some of my favourite novels by Jane Austen are set there... and I also love Las Vegas. I only went there in order to get to the Grand Canyon but liked it much more than I expected. I wrote a bunch of notes which were then very helpful for writing Amy & Zach... I like Boston too - hence the inspiration to set so much of the story there!
 What’s next for you in terms of writing?
I have just started writing a third novel... and I'm also considering an Amy & Zach sequel, but perhaps about Libby, Amy's sister. I think she has a tale of her own to tell.
What are your favourite things to do when you’re not writing?
Cooking, I love to experiment... reading, my 'to read' list is ever-growing... and walking, I have a dog so we get out every day...
What’s your top 3 can’t live without beauty products?
1.       Beauty serum: I love how soft it leaves my skin... 2. Eye-liner: I never used to wear it but just lately it's my favourite thing... 3. Nail varnish: I can never have enough colours!
What’s the most expensive product you’ve ever purchased?
Hmm... I usually go for middle-of-the-range, so probably nothing that is that pricey... Maybe my hair straighteners...
What’s your top beauty trick or tip you can share with our readers?
I'm not a big make-up wearer... so my tip is: you don't have to wear it, if you don't want to... let your natural inner beauty shine through!
 

 
Sarah’s next book ‘Izzy’s cold feet’ is out the 12th July. I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy!
If you would like to find out more about Sarah check out her website: www.sarahlouisesmith.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments, would love to hear your views....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...