Sunday 14 July 2013

Book Club: Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess


The Blurb
Jobless. Clueless. Topless on Facebook.

Welcome to New York City.

Pia Keller is not living the dream. Unemployed, unemployable and broke, post-Uni life in a Brooklyn townhouse with her four best friends suddenly isn't so easy.

And that's before heartbreaks, hipsters, all-nighters, one-nighters, food trucks, screw-ups, loan sharks and jail-time make things a whole lot more complicated...

Who knew adulthood would be so damn grown-up?

The Review

I was lucky enough to receive a review copy of this book just as I was about to head off on my holiday to Egypt, so I took it with me as a bit of pool side reading. I ended up being rubbish company for my friend as the first day of our holiday was spent with me being completely engrossed in this book!

It took me a couple of chapters to get into the swing of it, but Gemma’s writing style is brilliant with a fab sense of humour, the characters just jumped off the page. This book is going to be one of five, telling the story of a group of early twenty something’s who live together in, you guessed it,  Brooklyn.

This book really sums up that journey into the ’real world’ and trying to find your feet as an adult. I found it very realistic and the girls all had issues I think we can all relate to.

Pia was very matter of fact and up front. I found it a really refreshing read, Gemma uses modern language and at first this took me a little get used to but I really liked this way of writing once I got used to it. It's an honest depiction of twenty-two-year-old girls and what they get up to behind closed doors, and doesn't censor itself when it comes to such things as one night stands and recreational drug use. It’s not a fluffy girly read.

I found it refreshing that romance wasn’t at the forefront of this novel and it focused on friendships, primarily with Pia’s housemates. The story shows the combination of a group of five girls all with very different personalities. You get a great feel for the different friendships Pia has with each of them and how they all support each other. It celebrated friendships, through the good times and the bad times. I can’t wait to read more about them as the series continues

The novel also looks at food trucks, I won’t say too much as I don’t want to give too much of the story away. However my friend who I was holidaying with also read this book straight after id finished. It led to great debates over food trucks and how we need food trucks and especially healthy one in the south west!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and definitely recommend it! I can’t wait to see what the rest of the series brings.  

5 comments:

  1. this looks a really good read - i love a good book but i often find girly chick lit's a bit to... not sure how to put it, airy and unrealistic. its now on my list of books to get :) thank you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like my kind of book! I'll definitely be buying it.

    Maxine, xx
    beautybeatsbooks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love that you have a book club on here! I'm currently trying to find my feet in the adult world so I may well read this :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaa aww i've been hitting the books lately and aw this sounds good, shall be putting it on my list!

    http://wishuponasmile.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments, would love to hear your views....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...